4 Excellent Snack Options for People Living With Hepatitis C
The liver processes everything we eat and drink. As such, carefully choosing food and beverages makes a big impact on the health of those living with a chronic liver disease like Hepatitis C. Because a majority of dietary planning focuses on what to eat during breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks often take a backseat to good nutritional intentions.
To aid in Hepatitis C snack planning, consider these four options that range between having the time for food prep and munching on something nutritious while on the go.
Hepatitis C Diet Guidelines
- Sugar and unrefined carbohydrates (such as soda, sweetened energy drinks, fruit juice, pastries, donuts, cakes, white bread and white pasta)
- Trans-fats, saturated fats and high-fat foods (such as fried foods, butter, margarine, cream, full-fat cheese, bacon, beef, lamb, ham, sausage, fries and chips)
- High sodium foods (such as canned soup, deli meat, frozen dinners, processed foods and chips)
- Vegetables – Place an emphasis on vegetable quantity and variety. Brightly colored vegetables contain potent antioxidants to defend against liver cell damage caused by the Hepatitis C virus.
- Lean protein – Plant-based protein or lean meat choices are best (such as egg whites, nonfat yogurt, beans, nuts, fish and poultry) because they provide the building blocks to construct healthy, new liver cells. Liver cell regeneration helps counteract damage done by the Hepatitis C virus. Read about “The Top 10 Sources of Protein Intake for Hepatitis C.”
- Healthy fat – Not all fats are bad. Healthy fats such as those found in avocado, coconut, nuts, cold-water fish, canola oil and olive oil help reduce inflammation. Reducing inflammation in the liver can prevent liver cell damage caused by the Hepatitis C virus.
- Fiber – Foods high in fiber are valuable to those with Hepatitis C because fiber absorbs excessive fat in the bloodstream for excretion. Excessive fat in the blood can lead to fatty liver disease, a problem that exacerbates Hepatitis C.
Page 1 2
http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/lucinda-porter-navigating-hepatitis-c/what-to-eat-with-hepatitis-c/, Lucinda’s List: What To Eat When You Have Hepatitis C , Lucinda Porter, RN, Retrieved September 13, 2015, 2015.
http://www.hepatitiscentral.com/news/hepatitis-c-management-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day/, Hepatitis C Management: The Most Important Meal of the Day, Nicole Cutler, L.Ac., Retrieved September 13, 2015, Hepatitis Central, 2015.
http://www.hepatitiscentral.com/news/practical_chron/, Practical Chronic Hepatitis Snacking Tips, Nicole Cutler, L.Ac., Retrieved September 13, 2015, Hepatitis Central, 2015.
The Banana's Role in Beating Hepatitis C
New Virus Has Strong Association With Hepatitis C