Victrelis™ (boceprevir) and Hepatitis C
What is Victrelis™ (boceprevir)?
UPDATE: As of January 2015 Merck announced it will discontinue selling Victrelis in the United States by the end of the year.
On May 13, 2011, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the prescription medication Victrelis™ (boceprevir) for use in combination with peginterferon alfa and ribavirin to treat chronic Hepatitis C genotype 1 infection in those who have not been treated before or who have failed previous Hepatitis C treatment. The active ingredient in this 200 mg capsule is boceprevir.
Victrelis™ is a Hepatitis C virus (HCV) NS3/4A protease inhibitor to be used in combination with peginterferon alfa and ribavirin. Victrelis™ is a direct acting antiviral drug against the Hepatitis C virus. It is indicated for adult patients with Hepatitis C, who have not been treated or who have failed previous interferon and ribavirin therapy.
Last Updated: January 2015
Merck "Highlights of Prescribing Information - Victrelis" http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/v/victrelis/victrelis_pi.pdf. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
Merck "Medication Guide - Victrelis™" http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/v/victrelis/victrelis_mg.pdf. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
Merck "Patient Assistance Programs" http://www.merck.com/responsibility/pap-information.html. Retrieved May 23, 2011.
Neutropenia Support Association, Inc. "What is Neutropenia?" http://www.neutropenia.ca/. Retrieved May 19, 2011.
Victrelis http://victrelis.com/boceprevir/victrelis/consumer/index.jsp. Retrieved May 23, 2011.
- What is Victrelis™ (boceprevir)?
- What is the dosage for Victrelis™ (boceprevir)?
- Does the dosage and administration of Victrelis (boceprevir) differ for various people?
- When is Victrelis™ contraindicated?
- What types of adverse reactions were reported when taking Victrelis™?
- What if one has an adverse reaction to the Victrelis™ combination therapy?
- Are there any other warnings one should know regarding Victrelis™ combination therapy?
- At what point would one know the Victrelis™ combination treatment is not working?
- Can those co-infected with HIV and Hepatitis C begin Victrelis™ combination therapy?
- When can I get a prescription for Victrelis™ (boceprevir)?
- How can I get assistance paying for Victrelis™ (boceprevir)? Is Victrelis™ covered by insurance?