What is the Long Term Prognosis?
The future looks promising for those with Hepatitis C. Fortunately, scientific advances and intense research and development have led to the development of many new oral antiviral drugs. In addition, research shows that combining specific supplements such as milk thistle shows promise in treatment of Hepatitis C.
The odds of living well with Hepatitis C rather than dying from Hepatitis C are very good. By maintaining a positive attitude, working closely with one’s physician after diagnosis, getting support from as many areas as possible (family, friends and support groups), and making positive lifestyle changes, Hepatitis C doesn’t have to be the death sentence it was once believed to be.
Mayo Clinic “Acute Liver Failure” http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/liver-failure/DS00961. Retrieved May 20, 2011
Medscape “Diagnosis and Management of Acute Liver Failure” http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/720697_3. Retrieved May 20, 2011
Palmer, M.D., Melissa. Dr. Melissa Palmer’s Guide to Hepatitis & Liver Disease. New York: Avery Trade, 2004.
U.S. National Library of Medicine NIH National Institutes of Health “Acute liver failure caused by 'fat burners' and dietary supplements: a case report and literature review” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21499580. Retrieved May 20, 2011
U.S. National Library of Medicine NIH National Institutes of Health “Influence of high body mass index on outcome in acute liver failure” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16996806. Retrieved May 20, 2011< Worman, MD Howard J. The Liver Disorders and Hepatitis Sourcebook. McGraw-Hill, 2006
- What is Hepatitis C?
- What Causes Hepatitis C?
- Who is at Risk for Contracting Hepatitis C?
- What are the Signs and Symptoms of Hepatitis C?
- Are There Different Types of Hepatitis C?
- Is it Possible to Become Infected with More Than One Genotype of Hepatitis C?
- How is Hepatitis C Diagnosed?
- Is it Possible for Hepatitis C to Clear on Its Own?
- What is the Conventional Medical Treatment for Hepatitis C?
- Are There Alternative Therapies for the Treatment of Hepatitis C?
- What is the Long Term Prognosis?