Tired with Hep C? Avoid These 5 Foods!
Foods that Cause Fatigue
Going even further with what may be harmful to liver cells, certain foods actually cause or aggravate fatigue. Especially if you are struggling with tiredness due to Hepatitis C infection, make sure to avoid these five foods that increase your likelihood of feeling sleepy:
- White Bread – A carbohydrate that is practically devoid of fiber, white bread is considered to be a high-glycemic food. High glycemic foods are broken down into sugars quickly, providing a quick, short burst of energy. Unfortunately, that quick spike in blood sugar is followed by low blood sugar, which causes fatigue, anxiety and more carbohydrate cravings.
- Red Meat – The high fat content of red meat like steaks and hamburgers can also aggravate fatigue. It takes a lot of energy to break down red meat, so your body’s energy is redirected towards digestion – leaving little for staying alert.
- Alcohol – Most with Hepatitis C know to avoid alcohol, but may not realize that even a little can make fatigue worse. Alcohol inhibits glutamine, a natural stimulant in your body. Besides feeling tired right away, the inhibition of glutamine is frequently followed by glutamine rebound – which is known to make fatigue even worse.
- Candy – Many office workers keep a bowl of candy on their desk to help give them energy when they get too sleepy. While such sugary treats may provide a quick burst of alertness, it won’t last long. Orexin, a chemical in your brain that helps you feel alert and awake, is known to decrease after sugar consumption.
- French Fries – A seemingly innocuous, tasty, savory snack, French fries will foster fatigue. First, French fries are very high on the glycemic index, meaning that this carbohydrate will break down into glucose quickly then cause a blood sugar crash. In addition, fries are laden with grease, which clogs up the liver’s detoxification system and makes it harder to store and release energy.
Although the short list above may appear to be obvious items to avoid when caring for a compromised liver, an astonishing number of Americans consume at least three or four of these fatigue-inducing foods every day. To help lead you back on an energetic path, make sure not to sabotage your energy-seeking efforts. Avoid white bread, red meat, alcohol, candy and French fries to help diminish the fatigue those with Hepatitis C must frequently overcome.
Page 1 2
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/31/hangover.aspx, Hangover Hacks You Can Hang Your Hat On, Retrieved March 1, 2015, Dr. Joseph Mercola, 2015.
https://www.caring.com/articles/5-foods-that-fight-fatigue, 5 Foods That Fight Fatigue, Nikki Jong, Retrieved February 25, 2015, Caring, Inc., 2015.
http://www.doctoroz.com/article/food-makes-you-feel-tired-and-lazy, The Food That Makes You Feel Tired and Lazy, Laura Kenney, Retrieved February 25, 2015 Harpo, Inc., 2015.
http://www.everydayhealth.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome/healthy-diet.aspx, Fighting Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with a Natural Energy Diet, Wyatt Myers, Retrieved February 25, 2015, Everyday Health Media, LLC, 2015.
http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/foods-beat-fatigue#1, Foods that Beat Fatigue, Brian Krans, Retrieved February 25, 2015, Healthline Networks, Inc., 2015.
http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hcsp/articles/hauser-1.html, Hepatitis C and Fatigue, Peter Hauser, MD, Retrieved March 1, 2015, Hepatitis C Support Project, 2015.
http://www.rd.com/slideshows/10-sleep-aids-high-glycemic-foods-to-help-you-snooze/#slideshow=slide1, 10 Foods to Make You Sleepy, Ellen Michaud and Julie Bain, Retrieved February 25, 2015, The Reader’s Digest Association, Inc., 2015.
http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/hepatitis-c-fatigue, Hepatitis C and Fatigue, Retrieved February 25, 2015, WebMD, LLC, 2015.
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/tiring-foods, 6 Foods that Are Making You Tired, Jenna Birch, Retrieved February 25, 2015, Rodale Inc., 2015.
Roked, Sohere, The Tiredness Cure: How to Beat Fatigue and Feel Great for Good, Random House, Croydon, UK, 2014; 66.
Lyme Disease’s Scary Connection with Hepatitis
Viekira Pak Effective Without Ribavirin