Sovaldi™ (sofosbuvir) and Hepatitis C
What is the dosage for Sovaldi™ (sofosbuvir)?
According to Gilead, developer of Sovaldi, one 400 mg tablet should be taken once daily with or without food. Keep in mind that Sovaldi MUST be taken in combination with ribavirin OR peginterferon alfa and ribavirin. The combination treatment and duration varies depending on HCV genotype.
- Genotype 1 or 4 – 12 weeks of Sovaldi with peginterferon alfa and ribavirin
- Genotype 2 – 12 weeks Sovaldi and ribavirin
- Genotype 3 – 24 weeks of Sovaldi and ribavirin
For those with chronic Hepatitis C that are interferon ineligible, a combination of Sovaldi and ribavirin for a duration of 24 weeks can be considered.
For those with chronic Hepatitis C and hepatocellular carcinoma awaiting liver transplantation, Sovaldi should be used in combination with ribavirin for up to 48 weeks or until liver transplantation – whichever occurs first.
Last Updated: November 2016
"Full Prescribing Information." Gilead.com. Gilead Sciences, Inc., http://www.gilead.com/~/media/Files/pdfs/medicines/liver-disease/sovaldi/sovaldi_pi.pdf. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
"Patient Information: Sovaldi™." Gilead.com. Gilead Sciences, Inc., http://www.gilead.com/~/media/Files/pdfs/medicines/liver-disease/sovaldi/sovaldi_patient_pi.pdf. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
"Register for a SOVALDI Co-pay Coupon." Sovaldi.com. Gilead Sciences, Inc., https://www.sovaldi.com/copay-register.aspx. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
"Support Path." MySupportPath.com. Gilead Sciences, Inc., http://www.mysupportpath.com/. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
"U.S. Food and Drug Administration Approved Gilead's Sovaldi (Sofosbuvir) for the Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis C." Gilead.com. Gilead Sciences, Inc., http://investors.gilead.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=69964&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1882800&highlight=. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
- What is Sovaldi™ (sofosbuvir)?
- What is the dosage for Sovaldi™ (sofosbuvir)?
- When is Sovaldi™ contraindicated?
- What types of adverse reactions were reported when taking Sovaldi™?
- What if I have an adverse reaction to the Sovaldi™ combination therapy?
- Are there any other warnings one should know regarding Sovaldi combination therapy?
- Can those co-infected with HIV and Hepatitis C begin Sovaldi™ combination therapy?
- How can I get assistance paying for Sovaldi™ (sofosbuvir)? Is Sovaldi™ covered by insurance?